By: David Freund, Chief Leadership Officer
According to the dictionary, the noun Destiny means, the events that will necessarily happen to a particular person or thing in the future.
Some may say we have no power over our own Destiny. Others will say there is divine providence at work. As a person of faith, I do believe that Providence plays a role in our destiny, but I also believe that we play the biggest role in defining our Destiny. What we are to become is a result of what we do today.
What about you? Are you focused on intentionally making each day another building block in the future you desire or are you going with the flow? Life is tough, relationships are tough, work is tough, even holidays and vacations can be tough. We need to take control of our daily emotions and activities and not allow others to determine our destiny. If you are trying to live with intentionality and working to determine your destiny, here are a few tips that will help you:
- Choose to be grateful for what you have instead of whining about what you do not This practice will cultivate an abundance mindset.
- Look for learning opportunities with everyone you meet. Everybody can teach you something, so always be ready to ask great questions and listen.
- Remember that FAIL stands for a First Attempt In Learning. If you want to achieve more, double your failure rate. It is not the failure that is the problem; it is what we do with it that matters.
- Develop a Vision Board – It is easier to find something when you know what you are looking for.
- Spend time with great people. Take a moment to review with whom you are spending time. Are they people who are inspiring you to think great thoughts or are they consuming precious time in your day. Are they building you up or tearing you down?
- Are you giving yourself to others or just your opinion? The best way to grow is to share with others what you are learning. By sharing our learnings, the roots of the learnings go deep and they become part of who we are.
Success is found where preparation meets opportunity. You get to determine if you are prepared for the opportunities when they arrive. Your destiny is completely up to you and nobody else.
What will 2017 hold in store for you?